You are eligible to attend the New Start Summer Program if you meet the following requirements:
- You are a first-time freshman who has graduated/will graduate from high school during the 2016-2017 academic year and has not attended college; concurrently enrolled students may apply.
- You have been admitted to the University of Arizona and plan to enroll during the 2017 Fall semester in at least 6 units (half-time).
- You complete and submit all required New Start documentation by the required dates. Arizona residents must complete both the 2016–2017 and 2017-2018 FAFSA forms by May 15 in order to receive reduced fees and tuition. (NOTE: UA's priority deadline for the 2017-2018 FAFSA is March 1).
Please Note: This program is not intended for transfer or joint-admission students. For information on programs and services for transfer students, please contact the Transfer Center at (520) 626-5568 or visit http://transfer.arizona.edu.
How to Apply
The online application will become available November 1, 2016. To apply, click on the "Apply" link above and fill out all required fields. You will need your 8-digit EmplID (the 8-digit number you received when you applied to UA - if you have been admitted to UA already it is also on your letter of admission).
What Happens Next?
After you have applied to New Start, your admission to the University of Arizona has been verified, and you have created your UA student email account, we will send you an email containing further instructions about how to complete your program contract online. Your space is not guaranteed until you complete your program contract and receive confirmation from our office, so please complete your online contract as soon as possible once you receive the link.
Please Note: UA's official form of communication is your University email account (your email address that ends in @email.arizona.edu) which you will set up once you have been admitted to UA. We will not send email to other types of email accounts such as Gmail, Hotmail, AOL,etc. Please check your University email regularly.
My contract is done...now what?
There are several things that must be done for you to participate in New Start. All of these with the exception of the FAFSAs can be done through your UA Next Steps Center (nextsteps.arizona.edu):
- Pay your UA Enrollment Fee (or request a deferral)
- Sign up for Orientation. Select any available date and we will change you to the New Start date at no cost. Do not sign up for parent orientation through the Next Steps Center.
- Complete your math, English, and second language placement requirements through Next Steps. You must complete all three of these checklist items regardless of your potential AP/IB or dual enrollment credit.
- Submit your immunization information to campus health.
- Complete the 2016-2017 AND 2017-2018 FAFSAs if you are seeking resident tuition and fees, Pell grant, and/or New Start Scholarships.
- See Dates and Deadlines for deadlines for all of the above items.